10.25.2012

Wanna Narwhal?

So, I've been busy! Have you ever been working on a project and bam!, out of nowhere a new idea hits you? That's how inspiration seems to hit me; all at once and I can't keep up! My poor hands! 
I love making amigurumi whales and I wanted to modify the pattern and make some amigurumi narwhals! Narwhals are so cute and have become really popular! I knew I wanted to use my whale pattern as the base design, but I couldn't figure out a good horn until about a day later, when it suddenly hit me! I used several slip stitches pulled tightly over a single strand of yarn to make a study horn!  If you've ever made friendship bracelets with the square knot then you're probably familiar with this concept. It takes a lot of patience to get it just right, but when I do, the horns look great! Sometimes I have to make them two or three times! Yeah, I'm a bit of a perfectionist! 
❤ Narwhal Love 
I loved making these little guys! I think they turned out perfect and so cute ❤ 


Some fun facts about narwhals!


1. They are the closest relatives of the beluga whale; the older they get, the whiter they become like their cousin. 
2. Both males and females grow tusks, with the male's always longer. Both can have double tusks but it's very rare.
3. The tusk is actually the upper left canine tooth! It's a tooth!! (so cool!)
4. Narwhals are a northern-arctic whale, rarely traveling south. They are still hunted by the Inuits for food.
5. They live long lives, older than 50 years typically. Their natural predators are humans, killer whales and polar bears. 


I love scientific animal facts!! I hope you do too~ 



See them in my shop

~Denae

18 comments:

  1. Super cute Denae!!!
    Plus interesting facts I had no idea the tusk was a tooth, that's amazing O.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millie!!
      I love science and history facts. :D
      I hope you're enjoying your weekend!!

      Delete
    2. How'd you do that

      Delete
  2. What is the pattern for the Narwhals? I love Narwhals but I didn't know the horn was a tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella! I don't have a pattern available for sale or free but I do have a few links for a similar pattern that I recommend:

      http://ea1701.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/can-you-stare-like-a-whale-free-pattern/

      - Free pattern for a whale of similar shape and size,

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/92343808/crab-and-whale-amigurumi-pattern?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=whale+pattern+amigurumi&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

      - a pattern for purchase that is also very similar.

      I love animals, each one is so different! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. thenarwhallover5/20/13, 11:03 AM

    love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i want one so bad are u selling them by any chance? I live at 2011 brooksode dr. albert lea MN

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't have them in your shop anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all sold out for the holidays! No worries, I will be restocking soon after the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! When will you restock them? I really want to purchase some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are all restocked! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When and how can I purchase one? They are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Lily! The narwhals are available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmiAmore

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you still have the narwhals available?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only upon request. Send me a convo through etsy with the details and I'll get back with you as soon as I can! https://www.etsy.com/shop/amiamore

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! Please leave your thoughts below~ All comments are moderated, I do try to approve them quickly. Thank you!